What in the world is: Selec-Speed Control?
This 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk we drove was just STUFFED FULL of technology, gadgets, equipment and behind-the-scenes safety features! It’s the perfect vehicle for us to showcase Chrysler Group’s “Selec-Speed Control” which includes Hill Start Assist, Hill Ascent Control and Hill Descent Control. Check out the video that John “Fudd” McLean a.k.a. “Diehard” and myself did to help illustrate it to you:
This feature helps to keep you focused on steering while the vehicle keeps moving forward at a steady pace, regardless of the road conditions to provide an unparalleled level of driving confidence in extreme road and off-road conditions. It might seem a little underwhelming at first glance, but if you’ve had any experience in heavy snow and ice while going up and down steep grades than this little feature is a huge advantage to keep you going year-round, day in and day out. Here’s the official word from Chrysler about the Selec-Speed Control on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee:
- Adds Hill Descent and Hill Ascent Controls
- Is activated by a dedicated button on the Selec-Terrain switch
- Allows the driver to select the target speed, ranging from 1 to 5 miles per hour, by adjusting the +/- shifter input
- *Is only available while the vehicle is in 4Low
- Allows the Cherokee to climb and descend steep grades with minimal driver input
- Enables the driver to focus on steering while navigating technical off-road terrain
- Is available on all 4WD models (not just the Trailhawk we drove)
- The Hill Descent feature uses braking to aid in vehicle control when going downhill
- The Hill Ascent feature uses the throttle on inclines
We didn’t get to do a whole lot of off-roading in this year’s 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and we will shortly be moving on to other vehicles to help give you a better glimpse of what’s currently out there. However, from what I was able to determine while driving the vehicle all over Western North Carolina it can only make it that much more of a beast in all conditions! Maybe next year we can show you this feature in all it’s glory! If you’d like to see that or anything else, don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments section!
Reach out to our World Class Internet Department to get behind the wheel of one of our great new and pre-owned vehicles today!
Thanks again for reading!
Jason Lee Gibson
Your Automotive Digital Informant